Sunday, December 6, 2015

Chapter 12 Comm. Ethics Literacy and Difference

During this semester that we have been learning together there have been multiple mass shootings. Three of the major ones, which is sad that I can classify them as major, since there have been multiple more and they have been more minor which at this point means simply put: less victims.

October.  Oregon at Umpqua Community College.  9 killed.
November. Paris. 128 killed
December.  San Bernandino. 14 people were killed.

The chapter speaks about dialogue and the demand.  "Dialogue hides when we demand that another vacate the ground that offers meaning and vision for a given standpoint." (page 224)
I think that this gives a highlight to the gun control conversation, it seems like the conversation is always from a standpoint of "If they did things my way, problem solved." And the confusing part is, that depending on the eloquence of the speaker, it can be a topic that you see people get swayed on.

I love Coke, I hate Pepsi.  It tastes horrible to me and I will never like it.  No amount of arguing would sway me, it's gross.  Gun control for me is less cut and dry, I can rationally look at the statistics, and see which countries around the world have enacted gun laws and see how little gun crime they have and then rationally wonder why we in America haven't followed suit.  Then I see my family out together hunting and my former military husband come in from the shooting range and all I can think about is the word responsibility.  And then I think again about the people who are doing the most harm and I can realize that responsibility is not enough.  So even in my own mind I can see the problem and wonder what can possibly be done to change this problem.

I need to constantly assess and learn about the dialogic ethics, "seeking to negotiate new possibilities and through attention to content via listening, attentiveness and negotiation of difference..."  (page 226)  I need to keep talking and learning, the idea that knowledge is power works here, as the conversation can continue around me and I can watch it develop or I can continue to learn and actively participate.  The last part of this chapter tells us to constantly learn and discern and to take responsibility but not lose our sense of "maybe".


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post, and I would agree that gun violence is not a cut and dry situation. In fact I would also say that in light of the recent shootings in California and the terror attacks, that sense of crisis communication is brought up quite a bit. The book mentions how it has to disrupt the public sphere, and I believe that this gun control is a very pressing topic that is disrupting the public sphere. I would question whether the dialogue surrounding the gun control is actually for the greater of the good.

    ReplyDelete